This part of the repository collects information about available wearable devices, which can be connected in a seamless way in order to built integrated wearable systems. One of the results of the wearIT@work project is the development of a wearable computing platform, which allows for integration of existing hardware devices. The functional components of this platform, which are either COTS (components off the shelve) or developed within the project, are divided into the following five main groups:
- Wearable computers
- Input/Output devices (headphones, Head Mounted Displays, digital pens, sensing gloves, etc.)
- Context detection devices (sensing devices, localisation and identification devices)
- Communication infrastructures (heterogeneous networks, mobile communications)
- Clothing wearing systems (gloves, jackets, belts, etc.)
The goal is to obtain a configurable wearable computer system based on a set of components capable to be linked and connected to various interaction devices. It will be possible to integrate the wearable computing system to the clothing of the workers engaged in the different application pilots. Among other things the wearable system will:
- Realize a balance between power supply, power consumption and computer power to ensure e.g. operation of the system during a whole shift or limit the problems of overheating.
- Integrate the wearable systems, sensors, wires, power supply etc. into work clothing and accessories (e.g. helmets, protective glasses, tools), enabling real world applications – also from an organizational point of view.
- Increase the acceptance of head-mounted displays, due to improved display quality and better ergonomics.
- Tackle with safety aspects, e.g. by removing wires between several Input/outputs (e.g. wireless sensors in working gloves, wireless connectivity to the head mounted display).
Currently, the hardware repository contains the following items:
- QBIC: Wearable belt-integrated Computer, developed at Wearable Computing Lab., ETH Zurich, one of the partners of wearIT@work
- OQO: fully functional small-sized PC (COTS)
- Xybernaut MA-V: fully functional PC (COTS)
- DELL Axim PDA (COTS)
The devices described in this part of the technology repository are several Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), clothing integrated sensing devices and a headset. They are listed below.
- Clothing I/O: TZI SCIPIO Gesture Band, TZI SCIPIO WInspect Glove, TZI Smart Battery Pack
- Head Mounted Displays: Carl Zeiss Look-around HMD, See-through HMD lab prototypes and Mobile Optics ProVi 2D HMD, Lumus See through HMD (COTS), Microoptical SV-6 clip on HMD (COTS), Mobintech Accupix
- Logitech Bluetooth Headset (COTS)
Sensors and Context Detection Devices
These include varios sensors used for activity/task tracking, motion or position sensing, and other positioning devices.
- Sensors: Physiological Sensors, Infrared Sensors, Radar and Sonar sensors, Motion sensors
- ETH Sensor Buttons
- Positioning devices: GPS technology, WiFi (RF)-based positioning, Hexamite, an Ultrasonic positioning system.
- Wristband sensor platform: Pilot-indipendent platform for on-body sensor data acquisition.
- Context Recognition Network (CRN) Toolbox
Wireless Communication Devices
- Wireless Technologies: WLAN IEEE 802.11, IEEE 802.15.1 and Bluetooth, IEEE 802.15.4 and Zigbee
- Cellular networks
- GZE Link Jacket
- GZE Link Jacket - 2nd prototype (GZE-Vest)
- GZE CabledWristband